What is the Academic Decathlon?
The Academic Decathlon is a competition for students in grades 6 – 8. There are ten events. Two are collaborative team efforts – a logic quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems, and a super quiz with 50 multiple choice questions. The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of Roman Catholic doctrine, Social Studies, Mathematics, Literature, English, Science, Current Events, and Fine Arts (Music and Art). Awards are given for individual and team performance, and the winning team from each diocese competes in a State championship the first Saturday in May.
St. Eugene School Decathlon Goals:
- To promote academic excellence
- To promote collaborative spirit and cooperative learning skills
- To promote logical and higher-order thinking
- To recognize the contribution of parents, teachers, and school administrators, and business and community members in supporting high standards for all students
- To celebrate the diversity, excellence and tradition of Catholic schools.